Lead Android Developer
Waygo (by Translate Abroad)
Providence, RI/ Mountain View, CA/ Taipei, Taiwan (allows remote)
Featured in NYTimes, LATimes, Time, Popular Science and more!
Instant visual translation startup Waygo is looking for a solid Android developer to lead the development of our newly released Android app. Since release, the app has been growing significantly and our users have made over 1 million translations! As if that isn’t cool enough, we took 1st place at the 2014 SXSW Accelerator competition!
You will be driving the development of the Android app building new features, fixing bugs, optimizing app performance, and creating awesome. As this is largely a frontend role, you will be interfacing with our backend technologies via the JNI and working closely with our iOS Developer to maintain a consistent experience across both platforms.
Skills and Requirements
- 1+ year experience working with the Android SDK
- Understanding of mobile/UI design patterns
- Be able to show us your past Android work/projects/products
- Experience with the Android Camera API
- Experience with version control system (Git) and collaborative coding
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Good communication skills, we are a distributed team
- Poorly commented code drives you insane
- B.S. in Computer Science or Engineering
- Interested in food, travel, and languages (that’s what our product is about!)
- Experience with C++ and/or iOS
- A published app on the Play Store
- Practical experience with HTTP/HTTPS/JSON
- Familiarity with JNI
Super bonus points:
- A worthy ping pong opponent
- Love craft beer and have an Untappd account
- Excited about eyewear like google glass (even if you think people look funny wearing it)
What We Offer
Competitive salary, stock options, health insurance, and the ability to work from home and be flexible. Most importantly though, we let you take leadership and ownership of a product hundreds of thousands of people have downloaded and millions of people need. If you mess up, our users notice. If you build something great, our users take even more notice
We plan annual company retreats that give us an opportunity to all be in the same place at once. Our last one was a company trip to SXSW! We have regular ‘virtual’ happy hours via Google Hangouts where we unwind with our favorite adult beverage and don’t talk at all about work.
We believe in building products that break down cultural and linguistic barriers. Waygo is a real-time, offline, instant visual translation app for iPhone and Android smartphones. Currently Waygo translates Chinese and Japanese to English and we will be expanding on language pairs in the future.
We are driven to be the best mobile translation app for travelers out there. We have built all of our technology in house and pride ourselves in being a deep technical team.
We are a hard-working group, but also value the importance of having a healthy balance between our professional and personal lives. When we’re not working, we go to the orchestra, ride motorcycles, homebrew, raise families, play instruments, etc. When on the job, we are a focused bunch motivated to change the way people travel and experience the world.
Contact Email: email@example.com